Brainfart: A skinners tale

Friday, March 03, 2006

SYS Downloads up

SYS Downloads are up here.

Just to ensure that theme downloads are up, I've set up a VERY BASIC solution - akin to not much but static pages, but at least the files are accessible. This is by no means the final solution for the site, just a quick and dirty way of making sure everyone's contributions are still online. I'm working on the tutorials next.

If you have a submission you'd like to make to the site, I'll have to add it manually, so send it to me via email.


Hacker Update.
Curious chain of events, this is: Got this message yesterday to my skinyourscreen.com mail account:

hi, i want to talk with you about your site.
I am in ErrorHack team and i want to talk something about your site..
could u add me to ur messenger ?

Messenger : fenerli@hotmail.com

see you

To which I responded:

Sorry, don't use messenger. Contact by email is just fine.

He quickly replied:

any other chat programs ? like icq mirc ?

By this time I'm thinking that there are only a few reasons any hacker from the diabolical ErrorHack group would want to contact me: 1) Get a direct link to my computer to do more harm, 2) Rant about their shady aims, 3) Apologize and offer to fix the site. Seeing that they've done nothing but malicious acts, I quickly ruled out option #3 and wrote the following response:

I have a chat account but it's reserved exclusively for contact with my wife. I'm also at work right now, meaning a dedicated chat can't happen right now.

I must admit, I'm curious as to why a group so bent on making sure my site stays down is even interested in contact at all. But put yourself in my shoes for just a sec... the group claiming responsibility for repeatedly taking your site down suddenly wants to chat without stating their intentions. Would you trust anyone who broke into your house and trashed the place on multiple occasions?

You must realize that I greet your approach with utmost skepticism and distrust considering the actions of the group you claim allegiance with. Just being honest with you. I've layed aside my anger and determined that I just want to run my site and provide a fun place for some skinning buddies to get together. That does not mean that I feel you or your group are to be trusted, however. See my reluctance to converse? Why would I want to speak to the group that broke into my website and trashed the place? Why speak with people who have done nothing but exhibit undirected malice at something I've helped to create?
I've pinpointed that most of their activity came from two domains in Turkey, and this is also where dewe/fenerli of the errorhack group hails from. The initial instinct was to IP ban all of the turkish telecom services, as has been done elsewhere on the net to deal with this recent and persistent hacking threat. However, trawling the site logs, we do have people from Turkey who legitimately browser the tutorials, making that an unfair solution.

We'll just proceed as we can. Hopefully the errorhack group feels they have made their point and will not cause additional malicious problems.

2 Comments:

  • Thats great Rich! I like the look and layout of this.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:07 PM  

  • any news?

    By Blogger SacRat, at 1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home