Brainfart: A skinners tale

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Singularity: QuickLaunch

The original Singularity theme had a few button-tabs at the left edge of the screen to access custom menus like the quicklaunch, games, options, etc. Previously, the bpopup2 module was used to permit the creation of this quicklaunch with a secondary popup. Andymon's xPopup, however, one-ups this by permitting multiple popup styles via one module. It also included a feature for creating text-less quicklaunch popups in either horizontal or vertical formats.

As a big fan of AstonShell, I'm very fond of "Toolbars" a.k.a.: wharfs a.k.a.: docks at the left and right screen edges. They're a great way to access common shortcuts. Rather than using the vertical-menu methodology common to other shells, the Aston toolbars use staggered layouts: that is, the first level of shorcuts are vertical, but the second-tier comes out of the first horizontally. I wanted to employ something similar in this theme, with the tabs representing the first-tier, and the fold-out shortcuts coming out horizontally. Tossing some stuff around in Photoshop, I came up with this prototype picture to the right. Wanted it to look like the smaller bud pictured first opening up. Didn't end up as successful as I had hoped, but it's still fun to look at in its own right. Seems to work, too.

Perhaps I'll make a vertical version as well, just to suit user taste.

4 Comments:

  • Rich, maybe you should try a different platform for Singularity? The idea behind the theme is pretty amazing and I'd really liked to see more advanced skins with this design.
    Maybe, you should try making a skin for AltDesk 1.6?

    By Blogger SacRat, at 3:54 AM  

  • 'Tis a fantastic suggestion. When A2 is released, I really want to move the theme into that. Currently, LiteStep is the only platform that will handle some of the functions and design of the theme. DesktopX may also do it, but my luck with that program has been traditionally minimal.

    AltDesk skin is another great idea. I'll get working. Great tutorial on skinning AD1.6, by-the-way! I suspect you were the one who authored it: it's very well-devised and understandable.

    By Blogger mrbiotech, at 10:03 AM  

  • Thanks, Rich.
    I wouldn't suggest DX just because I've never managed to run it smoothly on my PC and I don't need one more resource hog :)

    As for AltDesk... es, the tutorial and the whole help file is mine. Feel free to contact me if you have troubles with skinning it.
    The format is quite a feature rich and Trinity skin only covers a part of its features.

    By Blogger SacRat, at 1:44 AM  

  • very nice addition MrB. i love the warf concept as well, it is much easier to access stuff you use more offten. this would be something most appreciated by me for sure!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home