Brainfart: A skinners tale

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Singularity: Getting Started

Preface
Let me preface this entry by stating that I've been working on the rebuild of the Singularity theme for two weeks already, so what I'm writing here is, in actuality, old news. It's still going to be included, however, to give anyone interested a sense of the overall work-flow.

Design intentions
Before even touching the computer for graphic or code design I try to envision what I want it to do, how the theme should work. Luckily, because this is a remake of an older theme, much of this guess-work has already been accomplished. Here are some of the things I wanted this time.

I want the re-created theme to retain much of the functionality of the original:
  • The ConfigurableHotspots must remain.
  • The ConfigurableHotspots must retain their original configuration via a popup GUI.
  • The ConfigurableHotspots should activate after a predetermined amount of time, so not every casual bump into the corner of the screen activates them.
  • This will require the Timer module and ckHotSpots.
  • The configurable nature of the theme will require scripting:
  • MzScript is my scripting module of choice.
  • LsLua is an alternate scripting module, although using it will require me to learn a new scripting language.
  • TextEdit2 may be needed.
  • Would prefer the theme "remembers" the users settings so they don't have to continually reselect theme options when they recycle.
The graphic-feel of the theme should remain similar:
  • I'd prefer something a little more rounded, more organic in shape.
  • The corner-based orientation of GUI elements should be retained.
  • Many of the same LayerStyles from the original Photoshop images can be used here, with some additional tweaking.
  • Still needs to be blue crytalline thingies over a metallic base.
  • AlphaTransparency will again be required, due to the curved shapes and drop-shadows employed by the theme elements.
  • This will require the use of either the ShortCut3 module, or the LayerCuts module.
Some theme elements will have to be changed altogether:
  • The bPopup module used for the quicklaunch icons (the tabs at the left side of the theme) is obsolete now that Andymon has published the all-powerful xPopup.dll module, which supports multiple popup formats.
  • While using xPopup, might as well recreate a better-looking primary popup menu.
  • The new popup-menu can use AlphaTransparency with xPopup!
  • I want desktop icons! Need to implement a module that will allow this, perhaps Andymon's xDeskTop module.
  • Probably don't need a second WinAmp control in the upper-left control cluster.
  • Can use xLabel to display song information instead of the ever-buggy JampToo module.
  • MUST be truly OTS2 compliant.
Required tools
So now that I know what the theme should do in relation to the previous version, we need to know what tools I'll have to employ to get this thing assembled and functional.
LiteStep
  • You're not going to get very far making LiteStep themes if you don't have LiteStep. If you click on LiteStep, you'll find a link to Omar Hussain's excellent installer package.
Graphical Editor
  • I prefer Adobe Photoshop. Specifically, I use version 6.0 because it's what I've had for years and does well (coupled to the fact that I can't afford the full CS2 version). My style makes heavy use of the LayerStyles in Photoshop to accomplish the visual effects.
Text/Code Editor
  • I've switched almost entirely to jEdit for my code-editing purposes. It's syntax-highlighting and expandability are literally amazing, like an Emacs that's easy to use and configure. Because it's JAVA based, it'll run on my Mac or my PCs, or in Linux.
  • I used to use Stardock's ObjectEdit for editing code and LiteStep RC files, but setting up it's syntax-highlighting was a pain, and more often than not, it simply displayed everything in plain black-and-white anyway.
So now that we know what's needed, I'll try and cover several of the graphical design aspects of the Singularity theme.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home