Brainfart: A skinners tale

Saturday, September 03, 2005

In the beginning

My first themes for LiteStep, SEQ(uencer) and Singularity were made around 2002. They were developed under LiteStep 0.24.6 using OTS1 standards.

SEQ(uencer) started off around the concept of a curved taskbar. I wanted a feature-rich but simple theme, one that would provide access to a few EVARs, require minimal scripting, but still be able to have plenty of configurability for wallpapers and color themes. The goals were met, but it still lacked certain features I would have preferred, such as AntiAliasing in the graphics, AlphaTransparency, and true ResolutionIndependence.

Singularity was my second theme, and a much more ambitious project. It made heavy use of the AntiAliasing desired for SEQ(uencer). The primary concept, however, was not the unique graphics. The core reason the theme was made was to accentuate the GUI concept of ConfigurableHotspots, in accordance with FittsLaw about interface design. This entailed creating shortcuts to programs or system-functions which could be the most easy to reach. This meant using the corners of the screen as HotSpots, hover the mouse over them and they activate. They gain their efficiency from the fact that no click is required, and the mouse is naturally collected at any screen corner if you move the mouse with sufficient velocity in any direction. These HotSpots could then be configured by the user to control various functions, like activating WinAmp, switching VWMs, or more. This concept functioned quite well with the heavy graphics of the Singularity theme, which sprawled over several corners of the screen but could instantly be whisked away or Z-Order flipped to the desktop to permit full access to actual productivity programs.

Other projects quickly followed as I became overly infatuated with LiteStep. Prion, NonDisjunction, PhenotypeII and Recombinant all followed suit, aiming to use the ConfigurableHotspots concept for user interaction.

The nagging.
There are probably hundreds of people who have sent in requests to update my LiteStep themes since the arrival and predominance of OTS2. In addition, there have probably been about 30 individuals who have attempted, with permission or without, to post updates of my themes. I appreciate the fact that people enjoy the themes, but I'm always a little leary of permitting others to do work that I myself should be doing, especially when it involved my own creative endeavors.

OTS2 turned out to be a mixed bag for me. It simplified the end-user experience, but I fear did so at the themer's expense. It's an excellent set of standards, but for me it was difficult to grasp, especially after taking the time to get familiar with OTS1. This hampered progress principally by eroding my will to continue with LiteStep.

Around this time, the gracious AstonShell community came knocking, asking for some themes in return for free keys to their software. AstonShell was one of the first skinnables I had a desire to design for, nearly a year before even attempting to skin LiteStep. My skills, however, were tremendously lacking at the time. I actually submitted an AltDesk and AstonShell theme as the first skins I ever made for anything (all rejected). When the time came a year and a half later to get free keys and skin for them, I jumped on it.

Still the emails from LiteStep users kept coming. Putting up my own site simply intensified this. But here's where the true nagging started... My conscience... well, it kept telling me how much I enjoyed the absolute free-form skinning freedom found in LiteStep. My old themes were getting older by the minute, more outdated, less desirable, and yet still there were people requesting them.

So, under some gentle prodding by some people recently, I've decided to remake these old themes and document the process.

The first theme to be recreated will be Singularity, the theme I receive the most requests for. For the sake of brevity (long since expended), I've been working on it for about two weeks so far, so I'll do individual write-ups on the design concepts, the module-selection process and creation of the graphics.

22 Comments:

  • This is an awesome tutorial, I found the section about graphic design to be especially enlightening. I have been work with photo shop for quite a few years new and am decent at glass and bevel effects, but the extra detail that you walked us through will add new life to my graphics, Thanks a ton!!! Now if only I could figure out how to use clickikonic to get my desktop icons to display. I am thinking about creating a !popup out of one of my side bars that has some nice futuristic glowing panel features to hold the icons, any ideas or suggestions? P.S. I love singularity and I am using it and Sputnik as my inspirations for my new theme...

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 10:07 AM  

  • Thanks! Glad it helped you out!

    It's always heartening to help and see skinners getting better and better at their craft. Post a link to any prototypes you produce: I'd be happy to review 'em. :)

    By Blogger mrbiotech, at 10:42 AM  

  • So after digging and rooting around I linked to your site, awesome work man. The graphics are beautifully done. I did notice though that the large majority of your themes are done in aston, I downloaded em any way in the hopes of integrating your graphics at least. I did not notice any authorizations to use them though, I would like to adapt them to litestep and integrate with the theme I am building, would that be ok? I would make sure you totaly get credit, and link your site as well.

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 2:13 PM  

  • I've got LiteStep versions of several of the AstonShell themes already in circulation (Singularity, Prion, Phenotype, etc). I'm not sure, however, if they're still up, considering most of the LS sites/communities have since crashed and been reinstalled in the intervening years.

    Short answer: yes - port any to LiteStep provided proper attribution is given (all my AstonShell themes are released under personal copyright or Creative Commons Noncommercial License).

    I've still got a completely new Singularity theme that's been in progress that will probably never get completed now that I've switched completely to a Mac. I'll do some diggin' and see if I can find it. Interested in tidying it up for me?

    By Blogger mrbiotech, at 2:45 PM  

  • I am majorly interested, I could work out the kinks, and freshen up the mod versions and whatever else needs doing. I have seen your screen shots it looks sweet. I am also running on Windows 7 so if I can fix her up to run on my machine it will probably be one of the most up to date themes. I do have one major problem though, I can not get volume controlls to work in litestep in my machine, if you have any ideas on that I would be ecstatic!!!

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 3:09 PM  

  • If you shoot me an email with the info on where I can grab the files I will get started right away. Kristopher.Roy@gmail.com
    Or if you use googletalk or any other chat apps let me know because I have accounts with pretty much all of them, although I would rather email that info to you than post it, lol.

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 12:26 PM  

  • Cruddola...

    My VMWare Fusion decided it's quit running for some reason. Man that Spore install seems to have messed up the system! Files are under the virtual file system so I can't access them. Gonna have to hit up my department's IT guys on this one: I've exceeded my expertice :D

    By Blogger mrbiotech, at 5:12 PM  

  • Do you have the actual VM file? I could give you an ftp location and you could upload the file, there is an application that will let you load your vm as an extra drive rather than a loadable os. I could also get you directions on how to do that if you want. Or just have your IT guys help you out either way, lol. P.S. I love Spore, its my 5 year olds fav. I tried to run it on Linux with wine, no go, so I tried to run it on a windows VM and it ran but really crapy, so I am back to my lamo windows box, lol.

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 5:22 PM  

  • Though I've got fileserver space, the file is a good 20+gigz, HUGE! (Stupid VectorNTI database). Somehow I've killed my /usr/bin/ and I don't have the OS install disk to recover the system. OS X runs fine, but I have no shell commands, no sudo, and for some reason VMWare doesn't work without 'em.

    I've gotta check my hard backups, maybe it's there somewhere.

    Incidentally, I was poking around through Spore's file-structure under OS X and guess what? It's all .EXE files running under WINE somehow! I was amazed when I saw the files, because I can't get ANYTHING else that's graphics intensive running well via Wine. I bet they've got some commercial tie-in.

    Thanks for the willingness! I'll keep diggin' for files!

    By Blogger mrbiotech, at 5:54 PM  

  • That is very interesting maybe I oughta try running a mac VM install it on there and then attempt to move it to the linux wine. Who knows, lol. Let me poke around and see if I can find that app that will load a vm image as another disk. I will let you know...

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 6:33 PM  

  • by the way what is the file extension for your VM?

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 6:34 PM  

  • Extension is ".vmwarevm"

    By Blogger mrbiotech, at 12:44 PM  

  • Nothin on my end, I would say reinstall fusion, the image file should still be good. By the way finaly got a slider to work for win7, now dealing with transparency issues, gunna dink around with overlays to see if I can fix it.

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 8:07 PM  

  • Hey if you are willing to upload to my ftp server I can dink around with it. Just let me know and I can build you an account.

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 7:49 AM  

  • Hey been creating a great volume control slider based on Lambda Red, although it is pretty modified. I will throw a link to the current psd soon.

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 12:19 PM  

  • OK here it is take a look, I included all of the layers. I am having a problem with the edges though, they are really ragged with a dark background, I am probably missing something totally obvious, let me know...

    www.royconsulting.net/LambdaRed_aston_Mod.psd

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 12:34 PM  

  • Takin' a look at it right now. Sorry haven't responded in a while - working on my thesis and have gone off the wire. Crunch time!

    Very alien-lookin' mod! Great texture: I love themes that have dimensionality to them, like you could pluck 'em off the screen and put 'em in your pocket.

    Good work!

    By Blogger mrbiotech, at 12:26 PM  

  • OK I updated it, the edges are a lot cleaner, and i modified the look a little. I have some ideas down the road that I may apply; such as pulling the organic tendral to the top layer above the gloss, to make it look like something that wasn't originally intended to be there but then took over. Anywho same link as before, let me know what you think. My next step will be the edge borders for the screen, I think I will use the bar that you can see in that psd as the top against the edge layer, but then add a lower layer that only appear on click that is much wider and more flat, that way the user can have a minimal, or expanded look of their tools. P.S thinking of calling the theme Frontiers, what do you think? Perhaps the background could be the inside of a ship hull looking through a porthole at another ship, with the matching texture to the theme. Any chance you could help me with that? I am good with pieced and bits and parts and what not, but I am no background artist. Maybe even have the ship out the porthole opening a work hole, lol. Just ideas.

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 2:10 PM  

  • meant worm hole, not work hole, lol...

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 2:12 PM  

  • I'm definitely diggin' it! Appropriate name for the theme, too.

    I probably won't be able to contribute anytime soon - getting ready to finally tidy up my Ph.D., so things are as busy as they'll ever be.

    BTW: Singularity appears to have been lost! When IT updated my OS VMWare somehow got left behind. I'll have to make a request and see if they can retrieve an archive from a while back. Hopefully I can get you something to play with soon.

    :)

    By Blogger mrbiotech, at 3:32 PM  

  • I am totaly up to it...

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 3:40 PM  

  • OK so just finished up my clock image, sticking to the same theme and style. Tell me what you think...
    www.royconsulting.net/clocksphereorganic.psd

    By Blogger Kristopher, at 10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home